Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday Night / Zombies

Well, Monday morning, to be precise. But I thought I should probably try to get back into my habit of Sunday night posting. This week has been a long one, filled with confusion, weariness, and not enough sleep. But I got through it, and am ready to face the next one.

I haven't really exercised in the last week, after pushing myself a bit too much in previous weeks. Apart from the walking involved in my daily life I haven't really done anything, no riding or running. My legs feel a bit better, but I don't think it has been very good for my state of mind. If it isn't one part of my body letting me down it is another!

Anyway, aside from that I did manage to get a lot of things done this week. I'm still struggling with duller wits than usual, plus a memory that seems increasingly unreliable. So I've been using lists to try and get things done, and I've managed to knock off a few things that I've been procrastinating about for months. There are still more things to be done, always more things. But it is nice to have gotten a few things out of the way.

I also wandered down to the bookshop and poked around. I went looking for the Game of Thrones books by RR Martin, which I found, but instead I was diverted by the site of The New Dead, a zombie anthology featuring a story by Max Brooks of World War Z fame. I've just finished reading it, and while it had some good stories in it, it was definitely a mixed bag. Max Brooks' story "Closure, Limited" was actually not so great. "Lazarus" by John Connolly featuring as the first zombie didn't really work for me, and "What Maisie Knew" by David Liss, the story about sex with zombies was a bit much for me. I suppose I am a bit churlish being grossed out by a book about zombies, but still..

That said, there were some good entries. "The Wind Cries Mary" by Brian Keene was a very short but surprisingly touching lament for lost love, and "Twittering from the Circus of the Dead" by Joe Hill, written entirely in tweets, worked surprisingly well. "Shooting Pool" by Joe R Lansdale was noteworthy for not having any zombies of any kind in it. Probably the best story in the book was "Family Business" by Jonathan Maberry, a story of a bratty teenager living in a post-apocalyptic town, job-hunting while resenting his older brother the zombie slayer. It is the longest story in the collection, and probably the most enjoyable.

On other zombie-related topics, the movie of Brooks' WWZ is apparently filming now, and is due to be released next year. Brad Pitt is involved, and while his movies are definitely hit and miss for me, here's hoping he'll do another bang-up job like Fight Club or Snatch. The source material is great, and it sounds like the studio is throwing lots of money at it, so here's hoping it works out.

Finally, there is a teaser trailer out for season two of AMC's The Walking Dead. It looks like the second season will be just as awesome as the first one. There is a longer, five minute trailer out too, but I haven't watched it. I don't want to spoil any of the story for myself. I'm really looking forward to that, and can't wait to see what Rick Grimes and his motley group of survivors get up to in the next season.

Well, that's about all for now. Time to turn in and get rested up ready for another week. My best wishes to all of you out there.

3 comments:

  1. I am stuck in with a poorly dog so my daily walks are out of the window. I have certainly noticed it. I hope you feel better soon x Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zombies really aren't my thing. It's gross. Neither are vampires- doesn't really help that the media is overloaded with them at the moment. I've been wanting to read "Game of Thrones" for a while. BTW I heard that "they" (whoever "they" are!) are getting ready to make "The Sandman" into a movie. Really hoping they don't mess it up.

    I hope that your legs will get better so you can get back to your running. I really do admire you for having a determination to exercise. Some days the only exercise I do is between the fridge and the T.V!. So you've inspired me to get out walking, hiking and cycling again like I used to :)

    Good luck with those lists!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pixie,
    Over the last week I've started running a little bit again. I'm not in perfect shape but it does help a little bit.

    Hey Stephi, zombies and vampires are not everyone's thing, but I find them quite entertaining. I enjoy watching True Blood, it is great trashy fun.

    After getting through "The New Dead" I made the trip back to the bookstore and picked up Game of Thrones, it is a great book. I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete